Thursday, April 15, 2010

Poor Jax

I was trying to get these pictures to post at the end of the post, but my computer illiterate self can't figure out how to do that! (Sorry the middle picture is a little graphic...so if you have a queasy stomach - don't look!)



I couldn't get him to keep his head still, but this is the wound. It's covered in an antibiotic powder so you can't really see it very well.

This is pretty much what he's been doing sice he got home. He'll wag his tail really fast when he sees you, but just doesn't have the energy to get up.

So Jax was in his first 'dog fight' today. I was in working on tutus, while Rylie was outside playing in the backyard with some friends. Pretty soon she came running in saying that Jax was bleeding. She tends to be a little dramatic, so I wasn't too worried about it.



I went out to check on him, and saw that there was another dog in the backyard. I got up to Jax, and the whole right side of him was covered in blood. I started freaking out, thinking that it was his neck that was bleeding, but then noticed that his ear was dripping. I looked closer and could see a small gash in his ear about 1 1/2 in long, but I could not figure out why it was bleeding so badly. I went back and got my phone and called Jarren to see what I should do. I know in humans that head wounds always bleed a lot, but I wasn't sure if I should take him to the vet, or just try to stop the bleeding. I ended up calling the vet and it was decided that I should bring him in. By this time I had tried to wash him a little so I could get a better look, and saw that his ear had been completely split through.



I had to wake Trey up from his nap, and get the kids loaded in the truck. (Luckily I didn't have any babysitting kids today) The vet told me they would have to sedate him to do the stitches, so he would need to stay for awhile. When I got back in the truck, both kids were really upset. They kept asking me if the stitches were going to hurt, and would we ever see him again...etc. I kept telling them he would be fine, and that they were going to have Jax go to sleep so he wouldn't feel the stitches.



We were able to pick him up about 4 hours later, and he was still groggy from the anethestic (sp?) Poor guy was so excited to see us, but couldn't control his body movements. His front legs kept going one way, while the back ones were going the other way. He's perked up a little since we've been home. This really made for an eventful day!



No comments:

Post a Comment